Department Store Jonas & Co

Designed in the „Neue Sachlichkeit“ (New Objectivity) in 1928 as a seven-story department store with a rooftop restaurant by Jewish owners.
The concept was groundbreaking for the time: customers paid a quarter of the purchase price, received a receipt, and could pay off the rest in four monthly installments. The option of buying in installments was particularly convenient for the financially weak population in the nearby „Scheunenviertel“ (Barn Quarter) and the tenement buildings on Prenzlauer Allee.

In 1933, after the expropriation of the Jewish owners, the building was rented to the Reich Youth Leadership and served as the headquarters of the organization.
In 1945, it became the seat of the Central Committee of the Communist Party. In the late 1950s, the building was converted into the Institute of Marxism-Leninism. The extensive party archives were stored in the basement.
In 2007, a German-British investor group acquired the building and in 2010 opened „Soho House“ as an up-and-coming creative membership club in Berlin’s Mitte district. The original concept of the builders remains history. An architectural history that should be made into a film.